Our Story

Founded in 1973, Chateau St. Jean was conceived as a truly fine wine estate in the European style, where wines from individual vineyards were kept separate to fully capture the individual character of each site.

The wines received immediate critical acclaim and Chateau St. Jean was soon recognized as a leader in single vineyard designated wines.

Valley of the Moon Shot From Above

1916: The Goff Family

Ernest and Maude Goff, having established their family fortune in the iron ore mines in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and lumber in the Pacific Northwest, came to California from Saginaw, Michigan with their four sons and one daughter and purchased approximately 300 acres of land in the Valley of the Moon area of Sonoma County, California.

1920: The Goff Summer Home

Construction on the Goff family’s summer home - the Chateau - began in 1920. The Goffs designed an elegant house with solid oak banisters, an oak-paneled hallway, and a large oak fireplace in the living room – which now serves as the Reserve Tasting Room in the Chateau. White wine grapes grew on the property at this time, but with the onset of Prohibition, the family planted prunes and walnuts, too.

Goff Summer House 1920, Now Chateau St. Jean
Ken Sheffield, and Bob, Ed Merzoian, and Jean Sheffield Merzoian

1973: Founding of Chateau St. Jean

In the early 1970s, Ken Sheffield, and Bob, and Ed Merzoian – San Joaquin Valley table grape growers and shippers – began a search for the perfect setting to build a premium California winery. The Valley of the Moon was their first choice and their attention focused on 250 acres of the Goff estate.

Chateau St. Jean was founded in October 1973 and named after Jean Sheffield Merzoian – sister, sister-in-law, and wife to the owners.

1974: Inaugural Wine Vintage

The inaugural vintage was produced at another winery by Chateau St. Jean’s first winemaker, Dick Arrowood. The first vintage made on the property was in 1975.

Workers Harvesting Grapes
Chateau St. Jean Winery in Kenwood California

1980: Winery Completed

In 1980, the winery and grounds in Kenwood, California were completed. The winery was designed from the ground up to accommodate numerous lots of grapes and keep them separate throughout the winemaking process to make sure vineyard designation stayed pure.

2000: New Visitor Center and Gardens

In the summer of 2000, Chateau St. Jean opened the doors to its new Visitor Center and Gardens. This new wine tasting and retail room is housed in an elegant garden structure offering intimate and unique areas for wine tasting, picnics, and strolls. The statue of Jean – the winery’s namesake – stands in the main courtyard garden by the decorative pool.

The statue of St. Jean – the winery’s namesake.
Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cépages, Red Wine, Sonoma County

2017: 25th Anniversary of Cinq Cépages

With the release of the 2014 vintage of Cinq Cépages, 2017 marked the 25th anniversary of Chateau St. Jean’s flagship wine.

  • © Copyright 2023 — All Rights Reserved.